Saturday, April 12, 2008

Chocolate Orange Semifreddo

My life is incomplete without an ice cream maker. How am I ever to re-create Vestri without one? Until then, semifreddo will have to do, and it’s not a bad substitute. I made some the other day, and looking back, I don’t know if I’ve ever made it before that. Made plenty of cookies, hundreds, perhaps thousands of brownies, pies, etc, but never semifreddo. I found pictures on Milk and Cookies that looked too close to ice cream and decided to try, but I changed hers from triple chocolate semifreddo to chocolate orange semifreddo. Which brings me to the second thing I did that I’ve never done before: candied orange peel. Alright, it was actually Clementine peel, but just about the same effect. I wasn’t sure how to go about it at first, and had some assistance, but it turned out really good, if not a bit chewy.

The semifreddo was really good actually, rich and similar to ice cream, but there were a couple main differences I noticed. First of all, it didn’t seem as cold as ice cream. I know that sounds weird, because you keep it in the freezer and it’s basically a frozen mousse, but it just didn’t have that extremely cold feeling when it hit your tongue. Another thing is that it seemed to more than melt, just disintegrate into your mouth. This might be connected to the not feeling so cold, as it melts a lot faster once on your tongue than ice cream, so the cold doesn’t seem to stay. Other that that, I thought it was pretty similar to ice cream. It’s best if you let it sit out for about 20 minutes before you serve it so it can soften a bit and be easily scooped out.

I actually got an ice cream maker a couple years ago, but it was one of those $50 freeze-the-removable-bowl one and I did not like the results. My ice cream came out with ice crystals, like it had melted and then been frozen again. So until I can get one of those high-tech, expensive ones, I shall make semifreddo, especially now that summer is approaching. Next on the menu, hazelnut.

Oh, and one last note: not only did I add candied Clementine peel, but also a couple drops of orange oil. And I’m putting up a picture of these oils because if you haven’t noticed, I tend to use them a lot in desserts, like in margarita cheesecake, or cookies, or anything, they’re great, and I’ve decided they’re almost necessary to have around the house. And they’re extremely potent, so you only need a bit.



Chocolate Orange Semifreddo
adapted from Milk and Cookies

200 g dark chocolate (70%)
3 eggs
2 yolks
½ c sugar
1 ¾ c cream
drop or two of orange oil
candied orange/Clementine peel (recipe follows)

Melt the chocolate, but don’t overheat it. Set aside when it is melted. Put the eggs, yolks, and sugar in double boiler and whisk for 4-5 minutes until it’s pale and the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and beat with an electric mixer (or really good with a whisk) for 5-6 minutes until the mixture cools to room temperature. Now, fold in the chocolate into the egg mixture until all the same color. Now beat your cream in a separate bowl until soft peaks form. Now fold the cream mixture with the other mixture, once again until everything is incorporated and the same color, adding a few drops of orange oil and the candied Clementine peel. Pour into a metal bowl (I actually used a pot) and cover and put in the fridge, for at least 6 hours or overnight. Wake up the next morning and eat it!

Candied Clementine Peel

sugar
water
salt
Clementines

First, using a knife, rather than peeling the Clementine, run it from top to bottom and take off the thinnest layer of peel you possibly can. This might take a bit to get used to, but just remember to graze over the surface and try not to get too much white on it. While your doing this, heat up water and sugar (more sugar than water, but it doesn’t have to be exact) and a dash of salt in a pot over medium heat, stirring every now and then. When it begins to get slightly thicker and all the sugar is dissolved, add the peel and turn the heat down to low and let cook as long as you want. This means you can take it out after 15-20 minutes or leave it in for as long as an hour. When you think they’re good and ready, remove the peels and place, not touching, on parchment paper to dry. When they have hardened, break or cut them into little bits and they’re ready to mix into the semifreddo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Candided clementine peel (from lovely unwaxed clems) is a great thing to have knocking around. I reckon it could yet end up in more semi-freddo. So when's the next recipe coming?